Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Losing steam

I am, not the house. The house has steam. Or boiling water, anyway.
Here are a few updates.

Inside, everything is down to the studs. Also, the ugly awning over the atrium is gone:

We've got heat. We went from this old clunker, to this, thanks to Anderson Heating:

The new space-age boiler is a Triangle Tube 110. Besides looking cool and taking up a lot less space, it's far more energy efficient, so it's a good long term investment, whether for operating costs or future resale. Notice I said "investment" which is a tip that this thing is about the price of a decent used car.

The water heater is being relocated to the garage. I considered tankless, but the cost is high, the benefits (other than reduced space requirements) are questionable, so this was a good compromise.

We also had to fix a few radiant leaks (5 in total) in the hall, hall bath, master bedroom and master bath:


Glen of Anderson has a helium detection system which can pinpoint the tiniest leaks. Leaks 4 and 5 were found only late in the day, after we thought all the leaks had been fixed.

Finally, I found some time to start removing the mastic on the concrete floors with a wet grinder.
I realized too late that this is a two person job, so I didn't make as much progress as I had hoped. Thanks to Hunter for rescuing me with a hose adapter when the rental unit adapter broke.

Oh, I was interested in mapping out the heating grid to see where the elements are.
Since I had the floor wet and the heat was on, I was able to see the grid drying out.
Curiously, it matches the same pattern you see in the mastic area above on the right.
I had assumed those were tile marks, but it looks like the effect of the heat grid on the mastic was to fade it in those areas.

Next up: replacement of 3 beams and 2 uprights (I'm having a pro do this of course).
Plan electrical and low voltage (RG6/Cat5E) and once that's done, begin wall insulation and sheetrocking. Oh, and kitchen design. And bathroom design. And the other bathroom. Doors and windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment