Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Such a small world

(not my actual car)

I've been shopping for windows, and since this is an Eichler, aluminum windows are the only thing that looks right, in my eyes.  I work a long way from home, in the South Bay, so a vendor there directed me to a house in Sunnyvale, to which they had sold Milgard windows.

I did a driveby, but couldn't see much due to a high fence, so I left the owner a note.
She was nice enough to call me back, and after several days, we were able to make arrangements for me to stop by to see how the large picture glass windows would look with a thin aluminum frame (for the record, they look fine).  I gave the owner one of my business cards, and she thought she recognized my name, but neither of us could recall the other.

A day later, she emailed me again, and asked if I had ever owned a Volvo or lived on the East Coast.  Turns out this fellow Eichler owner and I have in fact crossed paths before.
In 1999, shortly after the birth of my first daughter, I decided to get a safer car, and bought a used Volvo, sight unseen, on eBay.  I flew from NY to Miami, picked it up, and drove it home.
The seller is the very same person that has the Eichler in Sunnyvale.   How bizarre is that?

To make this post a bit more Eichler-relevant...  there are two good choices for aluminum windows: Milgard, or Blomberg.  Neither is sold with a thermally broken frame in CA, so both are subpar choices IMO, but aluminum is really the only thing that looks "right".
I had Eichler Solutions out who proposed vinyl, which kind of shocked me.

Still pricing, deciding, but leaning towards just doing it all now.

1 comment:

  1. We just replaced all of our Eichler windows with Blomberg. We used Palo Alto Glass. The windows are wonderful. They were really expensive but they are so nice. Our PG&E bill went down over 100 bucks in one month. And they are just so pretty. If you can, do them all.

    ReplyDelete