Friday, February 25, 2011

ABCs of flooring

A box of tile is really heavy.
Because tile installers charge $8-10/sq ft which is $8000-10000 I don't want to spend.
C See Dan busting his hump to install tile.

Yes Hunter, you told me so.  VCT would have been the same price and so so much easier.
But sometimes, I have to go my own way.

After scouring the South Bay (where I work) for deals on tile, I went into Import Tile in Berkeley expecting the usual Berkeley fruitiness and not much more.  I told the salesguy Tom that I was sick of shopping for tile, but that I was looking for a modernish 12x24 porcelain tile.  Several photos, 3 samples, and 24 hours later, I had about 1000 sq ft of grey Italian tile headed to my house, at a whopping cost of around $2/sq ft.

Laying tile is pretty easy, really.  The hard part is:

  • planning
  • prepping the floor
  • marking lines
  • mixing thinset
  • keeping the tiles level and straight
  • cutting the tiles around obstacles
More on the specific tools and techniques later.  The work below is about 7 total man hours, all done in the evenings after my day job and 1+ hour commute each way.  No wonder my back and knees are killing me...

This particular tile will be used in the "bonus room" which I have now opened up to the main living room (shown below) and carried into the living room, kitchen and hallway.  I think we'll do a different tile for the bedrooms.



Once the tiling is all done, it's on to the remaining projects:

  • finish planning kitchen layout
  • finish electrical wiring for the kitchen and baths
  • rough in the bathrooms
  • structural upgrades (the walls are open, why not?)
  • sheetrock, tape, prime the walls
  • install kitchen and baths
That all sounds doable by May 1st ish right?  Oi...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I live in the neighborhood and found your blog and am enjoying it. I'm wondering if you plan of flipping the house or moving in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi neighbor. This will definitely be home for us. I'm putting too much work into it for a simple flip :)

    ReplyDelete